Australia is facing the possibility of having a much longer fire season of about six or seven months, with bushfire season officially starting in October 2018 and running through to April 2019.
Now is the time to prepare for the bushfire season. Vero has tips on how to prepare:
Before a bushfire
- Ensure you have a Bushfire Survival Plan. Prepare this as soon as you can and discuss it with your family.
- If you haven’t already, prepare an emergency kit and keep it handy e.g. first aid supplies, torch, battery operated radio, important documents and medicines.
- Regularly clear gutters and rubbish around the property
- More tips – https://www.vero.com.au/natural-disasters/bushfire.html#tab1
During a bushfire
- Use local alerts and warning systems to stay up to date
- Ensure your mobile battery is full and have a full tank of fuel
- Follow emergency services advice
- More tips – https://www.vero.com.au/natural-disasters/bushfire.html#tab2
After a bushfire
- Do not return to your property or vehicle until emergency services have confirmed you can
- Maintain a “fire watch” – keep checking for smoke and sparks throughout your home
- If you need, make a claim with Vero on 1300 88 073
- More tips – https://www.vero.com.au/natural-disasters/bushfire.html#tab3
Visit your Australian Unions Member Benefits website to find out more or give Vero a call on 1800 250 962 for a quote on home and contents insurance.
This article has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situation or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it. Insurance issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 AFSL 230859 trading as Vero Insurance.