Thanks for entering your email, you can read your factsheet here.Across all industries and workplaces, over two-million workers in unions across Australia continue to negotiate higher pay to ensure all members get a fair wage for a fair day’s work. Join your union today and make it happen.
Modern awards are documents which set minimum employment standards in a specific industry or sector.
This includes setting things such as:
- Minimum rates of pay
- Hours of work
- Leave entitlements
- Penalty rates and allowances
Modern awards often set standards that are higher than the minimums in the National Employment Standards—they cannot set standards that are lower.
It is your employer’s responsibility to keep up with changes to your award and make sure that all employees are getting what they are entitled to. Some of the most common awards include:
- General Retail Industry Award 2010 [MA000004]
- Fast Food Industry Award 2010 [MA000003]
- Hospitality Industry (General) Award 2020 [MA000009]
- Restaurant Industry Award 2020 [MA000119]
- Amusement, Events and Recreation Award 2020 [MA000080]
- Cleaning Services Award 2020 [MA000022]
- Clerks – Private Sector Award 2020 [MA000002]
- Contract Call Centres Award 2020 [MA000023]
- Food, Beverage and Tobacco Manufacturing Award 2010 [MA000073]
- Hair and Beauty Industry Award 2010 [MA000005]
- Horticulture Award 2010 [MA000028]
- Manufacturing and Associated Industries and Occupations Award 2020 [MA000010]
- Pastoral Award 2010 [MA000035]
- Pharmacy Industry Award 2020 [MA000012]
- Registered and Licensed Clubs Award 2010 [MA000058]
- Security Services Industry Award 2020 [MA000016]
- Road Transport and Distribution Award 2020 [MA000038]
There is an award that covers nearly all workplaces and occupations. A full list of modern awards can be found online.
Who is covered by a modern award?
Most employees are covered by an award. Some exceptions include:
- Some managers, human resource managers and high-income employees
- Some employees who are excluded from the award that covers their workplace because of the nature of their role
If you are not covered by an award the National Employment Standards and the National Minimum Wage set the minimum standards of your employment.
Need more information about awards? You can contact your union or the Australian Unions Support Centre for free, confidential information and advice about any workplace issue.
Enter your email to access our expert workplace information
Almost two million union members have contributed to us providing this free workplace factsheet. Because you’ve read a few of our factsheets, we’re asking for your email address to keep reading. This is so we can keep you updated with the latest news and workplace advice.
Don’t worry: our factsheets will always remain free, thanks to the solidarity of the union movement.