Workers still at risk of being exposed to asbestos. Here is a guide to what to do if you or someone you know has been put in danger.

Support for asbestos victims

Maree asks: We just found out yesterday that my dad has mesothelioma. The whole family is just beside ourselves and we don’t know what to do. He was a builder so he could’ve been exposed to asbestos on any number of occasions. We don’t know where to turn. Can you refer us to something in Queensland?

It’s very important to make sure your father is registered as soon as possible as having been diagnosed as being ill.

If he’s a member of a union they will be able to advise him about this as well as refer him to a lawyer, so please call them as soon as you can.

If he’s not a member of a union don’t worry; the Asbestos Related Disease Support Society of Queensland has an advice line 1800 776 412.

They will be able to advise you all on ensuring you have legal advice as your dad may be eligible for compensation, a pension or both.

Even if he is a member of a union it would still be worthwhile having a chat with the ARDSS as they can also refer you to a range of resources – not just legal. For example, they can assist with finding a support service in your area.

I’ve had a look at their site and it also says, should this be of help to you, that they can assist with travel and accommodation for people living in a regional area who have to travel to Brisbane for treatment.

Talking to strangers about this might seem like the last thing you want to do at the moment, but remember the people you talk to will be ready to listen and answer any questions you might have.

And many of them will have been through exactly what you’re experiencing now – so they will really understand how you are all feeling -and they can help the whole family as you’ll all be dealing with your Dad’s illness in different ways.

If you’d like to go over any of this or ask us any questions at all  please don’t hesitate to give our Australian Unions team a call 1300 486 466.